Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What would I choose?

One of the highlights of my day is the drive from and to work. I drive from Mission Canyon to the Industrial district in Santa Barbara, on Alameda Padre Sierra (APS). The drive, infused with nature and sky, feels like coming up for fresh air. The drive isn't necessarily the shortest, but crosses town without stop lights. Yesterday I had to change the itinerary because of a meeting with a friend. I thought: "What if today were my last day alive, would I bypass my formidable evening drive?" I would not. I got on APS, drove a bit, and got off. I drove less, but had my taste of nectar anyhow. I cherished its curves, the view of the ocean partly hidden by the marine layer.

I've been asking myself this question lately: "What would I choose here if my intention was to come from love? Would I do this, say this, eat this, take this route, buy this thing, interrupt that person at work?" I am referring to fairly neutral situations, with no emotional charge, no sense of "right or wrong". It is interesting to notice the answer compared to the habitual course of action, at times significantly different, at times a mere nudge away.

No comments: